Again, carrying on through one of the Cloud Skills Challenge with this interesting learning Path:
In this module, you will:
- Authenticate GitHub Actions to a container registry.
- Securely store sensitive information used by the GitHub Actions.
- Implement a GitHub Action to build the container image for a microservice.
- Modify and commit the microservice code to trigger a build.
- Implement a GitHub Action to deploy a container to a Kubernetes cluster.
- Modify and commit a Helm chart to trigger a deployment.
- Revert the microservice to a previous deployment.
Once the script has run in your environment the following is deployed after a few minutes:
Once all GitHub Actions permissions and secrets have been configured and we test that the web app functions correctly, the purpose of this module is to utilise CI/CD Pipelines to update the ‘Coupon’ system to apply discounts to a shopping cart.
We then build and configure this Pipeline and Create a GitHub Action to deploy this into AKS:
As someone who hasn’t really configured my own GH Action, this module was great to help me understand the mechanics a little better.
My Main ReadMe Page is all set up with a bit about me!
The guys at 100DaysofCloud have set up the GitHub repo to be cloned and also have a great repo containing ideas and areas to collaborate on: https://github.com/100DaysOfCloud/100DaysOfCloudIdeas
My Github Journey tracker can be found here: https://github.com/jonnychipz/100DaysOfCloud
Please Watch/Star my repo and feel free to comment of contribute to anything I push! I really look forward to hearing from anyone who is going to jump on the journey around the same time as me! Lets see where I get to in 100 days!
I would encourage others to jump on this journey, I’m not sure that I will be able to commit every day for 100 days, but as long as I can complete 100 days that will be great!